The Eastern Transport Coalition asked the major parties to commit to specific projects that will improve public transport in Melbourne’s east as part of the Federal Election.
We asked them to commit to the following projects:
- Remove all remaining level crossings on the Belgrave and Lilydale lines
- Duplicate tracks on the Belgrave and Lilydale lines to allow a substantial increase in services
- Fund major upgrades and safety improvements to old, crowded stations, such as Huntingdale, Croydon and Box Hill
- Commit funding to finally build the Westall Road extension and creating a dedicated bus lane on Springvale Road
- Extending the Route 75 tram to Upper Ferntree Gully Station, providing access to heavy rail for tens of thousands that don’t currently have it
- Commit to amenity upgrades to bring all train stations in Melbourne’s east up to standard
- Fund construction of regional trails, including the Yarra Valley Trail, the Warburton Trail to Taralla Creek Trail, and extend the Box Hill to Ringwood Trail
See Labor’s Candidate for Aston, Dr Kadira Pethiyagoda’s response below. If you want to know more about the Labor Candidate for Aston, visit his Facebook here.
I support prioritising public transport in the eastern suburbs. I will advocate for a rail line to Rowville, support the suburban rail loop and a tram line to Wantirna.
I also support expansion and improvement of all roads that require it in my electorate.
Dr Kadira Pethiyagoda
Labor Candidate for Aston