Minister and Shadow Minister invited to discuss transport policies

//Minister and Shadow Minister invited to discuss transport policies

Minister and Shadow Minister invited to discuss transport policies

The Eastern Transport Coalition has invited both the Government and State Opposition to detail its public transport policies, including their positions on projects omitted from recent announcements, prior to the November State Election.

ETC Chairperson, Cr Peter Lockwood said a number of public transport announcements had been made in recent months and while it was good to see the major parties responding to the community’s strong desire for better public transport, the timing and level of funding for some projects was still a cause for concern.

In order to clarify each party’s plans prior to the election, the ETC has invited Transport Minister Terry Mulder and Labor’s Shadow Transport Minister, Jill Hennessy to one of its upcoming meetings to explain its policies to the group, which represents around a million people in seven eastern municipalities.

“Now that the State Budget, Plan Melbourne and Project 10,000 have been released, voters have a much clearer idea of how the major parties see public transport being improved over the next 40 years,” Cr Lockwood said.

“One area where both parties have directed funding in the short term is the removal of some of the state’s worst level crossings, something voters have been crying out for.

“The ETC would like to see similar eagerness displayed by the major parties to build Rowville and Doncaster Rail, projects that have been on the drawing board for more than 40 years and who have already had resourced directed into feasibility studies.

“The current position of both parties in relation to these projects is inadequate and our own polling has shown that the majority of voters agree with this assessment.

“The government says they will build them in the long term, between 2025 and 2050, the ALP says they like the idea of long term planning but will review the plan.

“Doncaster and Rowville Rail risk becoming the most over reviewed and studied transport initiatives in the city’s history – and still a start date backed by funding is nowhere in sight.

“We would also like to hear both parties’ plans regarding the improvement of Melbourne’s bus network, which, for many people in the outer east is the only form of public transport near their homes.

“We hope that both parties will accept the ETC’s invitation to give more details about their policies prior to the election and to hear from local representatives about the community’s needs.”

By | 2018-02-27T13:44:03+00:00 June 23rd, 2014|Media Releases|1 Comment

One Comment

  1. Corinne Yee July 19, 2014 at 12:05 am

    It is with great sense of anger and disappointment that I learn about the imminent cessation of Bus Route 286. I believe that my views reflect the views of the community (made up of the elderly, retirees, daily commuters to the surrounding suburbs and city, and students of all ages resident in Elder Street, Linden Street, Goodwin Street, Justina Street, Luke Avenue, Jubilee Street, Badenoch Street, Ellison Street, Koroit Street, Russell Street and Burnt Street). For forty or so years, Route 286 provided the much needed service to peoples of this neighbourhood who will all be greatly inconvenienced and disadvantaged by this decision which is being imposed upon us without any consultation or consideration about the needs of the community that will be affected.
    On behalf of the loyal patrons of Bus Route 286 of this neighbourhood, I am appealing for a reversal of this decision so that transportation remains within reasonable walking distance from our individual households and is accessible to the segment of the community who depend heavily on public transport to maintain their independence in mobility in their daily activities (such as shopping and medical appointments in Box Hill and the Pines). For many of us, Bus Route 286 is our only means of transportation as we do not own vehicles or for various reasons are unable to drive (e.g. old age, visual impairment, or underaged persons). For those of us who are handicapped by personal mobility issues, the replacement bus routes are almost inaccessible as reaching the bus stops for the replacement routes would involve long walks of 20 to 30 minutes duration in the dark and the crossing of the main highways where traffic lights are non-existent and thus introducing an element of hardship and complication in our lives. The proposed bus routes are not user friendly and takes us on a detour to patronise them. It takes no consideration of our safety or of service to the community which is in dire need of the service.
    I look forward to a decision that will preserve our vital links to essential services and access to key activity centres and that would continue to allow us to enjoy our independent lifestyles and remain in connection with our local facilities and communities.
    Yours faithfully
    Corinne Yee

Leave A Comment