The ETC has reviewed the recommendations from the EWLNA and makes comment on them below. It is important to note that we have concentrated on the recommendations that directly relate to our region.
We have then made a range of suggestions about how public transport needs to be improved in our area. We hope that the suggestions about how public transport needs to be improved in our area will be considered by Government separately as they do not relate to the limited study area of the EWLNA.
The main recommendations of the ETC are;
- Support is given for the rail tunnel as recommended by the EWLNA.
- The State Government must produce a comprehensive and long term plan for a significant expansion in the cities public transport infrastructure.
- Feasibility studies and business cases for the following projects need to be undertaken immediately;
- Rail to Rowville,
- Rail to Doncaster,
- Expansion of capacity of Belgrave/Lilydale lines.
- The triplification of track from Caulfield to Dandenong must be undertaken as committed.
- Improvements to passenger comfort thought upgrades or the creation of model interchanges at activity centres and transit cities must be undertaken.
- A long term fund for fixing gaps in the tram and bus network be created.